Saturday, February 11, 2012

No Hablo Español!


Theresa and me at Escapade 2009



Today I went to a club with a couple of my Hispanic co-workers. The club is called Escapade 2009. I had never been to a club quite like this before and I really did not know what to expect. The only place I've been to go dancing played country music.They warned me that a lot of people speak Spanish there and to say "No gracias," or "No hablo español," if I was having trouble talking to someone. When we arrived I felt very out of place. I didn't know what to do or how to act. There were two floors to this club. The first floor played music that I am more familiar with but the second floor is where we spent the majority of the night. The second floor had two areas as well. One played a lot of mariachi music where more couples danced and the other room had more "hip hop like" music but it was in Spanish for the most part. I feel like this was really the first time I had a complete culture shock. I tried talking to a few people but I couldn't understand them. I had to get my friends or their English speaking friends to translate for me. Even the way everyone was dancing was very different. Despite this initial culture shock, I had a lot of fun and I would love to go out dancing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment