Friday, January 27, 2012

Chicken Mole!

Today I learned how to make chicken mole! My step-dad is half Mexican and half Filipino. His name is Mariano Tedana but his nickname is "Chico". His mother taught his brother how to make this recipe and then this recipe was passed down to my mom. She decided to teach me how to make it so we could make it for him on his birthday. This recipe makes a lot of food so it lasts a while. It can be cut down to make smaller portions but the reason for the large portions is so it would feed a lot of people and last a while. You start off by boiling chicken for a long time. After you boil the chicken you peel the meat off the bones and use part of the chicken broth to create the gravy. This is eaten with tortillas and is delicious! I never knew how chicken broth was made so I found it really interesting. I only wish I copied down the recipe so I can share it with you! Maybe this is something I can edit in on a later date.

On a side note, his birthday landed on the Chinese new year and it happened to be the year of the dragon as well which is the year he was born in. We bought decorations in red which is supposed to be a symbol of good luck and threw a surprise party for him! We also gave him lucky money so he would have a great year. Traditionally you would clean prior to the new years day and not clean for the next few day for fear of "sweeping away your luck".

Chinese New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment